The Health Insurance Marketplace will open to allow individuals and small business owners to apply and purchase health insurance that will take effect on January 1, 2014. Individuals can apply by mail, online or in person.
How can I get ready now?
- • Create your account now!
- • Learn about different types of health coverage you'll choose from and other considerations at: How to get ready now.
- • Gather documentation that you'll need to complete the application:
- Social Security Numbers for each individual (or document numbers for legal immigrants)
- Employer and income information for every member of your household who needs coverage (for example, from pay stubs or W–2 forms—Wage and Tax Statements)
- Policy numbers for any current health insurance plans covering members of your household.
- A completed Employer Coverage Tool (see page 2 of the Marketplace Application Checklist) for every job-based plan you or someone in your household is eligible for. (You'll need to print and fill out this form even for coverage you're eligible for but don't enroll in.)
Small business owners will find that the same website is available to them to sign up to provide medical benefits for their employees. Their version is called Small Business Health Options Plan or SHOP for businesses with 50 or fewer full time employees.